0 Shares 0 Shares ×
Here’s an updated cheat sheet of headline statistics for social media in 2010, courtesy of Jake Hird, senior research analyst over at Econsultancy – access to their full report on social media stats is here (members only).
Certainly confirms that social media is popular media. If Drucker’s famed truism is indeed true; “the purpose of business is to create and keep a customer”, then it’s got to be smart business to be where your customers are. Today that means social media.
- Facebook claims that 50% of active users log into the site each day. This would mean at least 175m users every 24 hours…
- Twitter now has 75m user accounts, but only around 15m are active users on a regular basis. It’s still a fair increase from the estimated 6-10m global users from a few months ago
- LinkedIn has over 50m members worldwide. This means an increase of around 1m members month-on-month since July/August last year.
- Facebook currently has in excess of 350 million active users on global basis. Six months ago, this was 250m… meaning around a 40% increase of users in less than half a year.
- Flickr now hosts more than 4bn images. A massive jump from the previous 3.6bn I wrote about.
- More than 35m Facebook users update their status each day. This is 5m more than towards the end of July, 2009.
- Wikipedia currently has in excess of 14m articles, meaning that it’s 85,000 contributors have written nearly a million new posts in six months
- Photo uploads to Facebook have increased to 2.5bn uploads to the site each month
- There are more than 70 translations available on Facebook
- Back in 2009, the average user had 120 friends within Facebook. This is now around 130.
- Mobile is even bigger than before for Facebook, with more than 65m users accessing the site through mobile-based devices. In six months, this is over 100% increase. (Previously 30m). As before, it’s no secret that users who access Facebook through mobile devices are almost 50% more active than those who don’t
- There are more than 3.5bn pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, etc.) shared each week on Facebook
- There are now 11m LinkedIn users across Europe
- Towards the end of last year, the average number of tweets per day was over 27.3 million
- The average number of tweets per hour was around 1.3m
- More than 700,000 local businesses have active Pages on Facebook
- Purpose-built Facebook pages have created more than 5.3bn fans
- 15% of bloggers spend 10 or more hours each week blogging, according to Technorati’s new State of the Blogosphere
- At the current rate, Twitter will process almost 10bn tweets in a single year.
- About 70% of Facebook users are outside the USA
- India is currently the fastest-growing country to use LinkedIn, with around 3m total users
- More than 250 Facebook applications have over a million combined users each month
- 70% of bloggers are organically talking about brands on their blog
- 38% of bloggers post brand or product reviews
- More than 80,000 websites have implemented Facebook Connect since December 2008 and more than 60m Facebook users engage with it across these external sites each month
www.warren-knight.com thanks http://socialcommercetoday.com